· It is 277 miles in length.
· At its widest point, it stretches 18 miles across.
· At its narrowest point it stretches 4 miles across.
· It is about 6000 feet deep.
· The Colorado River runs through it….eroding its steep sides for millions of years.
· The rock found at the bottom of it is 2 billion years old.
You know it…..it’s the Grand Canyon. I think I’ll go for a little hike. Many people get lost in the canyon every year, so I must remember to bring all my supplies including lots of water. I pass so many interesting things on the way dawn, people riding on mules, small animals like rattlesnakes and scorpions (from which I will keep a safe distance), and large animals list bighorn sheep and mountain lions are so interesting to watch. At the bottom there are campgrounds, resting areas and even the indian village of Surpai. It’s occupants (the Havasupi Indians) and lived in the canyon for the past 800 years! This is great – so refreshing as I lap water from the Colorado river. ……. Then I hear in the distance…….”Jax, time for supper”. I trot out of Little Girl’s closet and down the stairs for supper. This is very fortunate. Thanks goodness this was a trip thru the closet. I really wasn’t looking forward to hiking all the way back up to the South Rim. ……..Peace out, Pups!